After 2 failed rice crispy treat recipes last week and a disappointing zucchini bread (more on this later), I am happy to report major success. The Brownie Cookies with Salted Caramel Cream Filling I made this weekend for my cousins baby shower were a hit and I had a tough audience!
The aunts on my mom’s side are all amazing bakers. Dessert is taken very seriously and usually the same favorites are served at our family get togethers (Banana Cream Pie, anyone?). So I was a little intimidated and nervous to introduce something new to the crowd. Especially since I hadn’t even tried one of the cookie sandwiches before serving them as I was afraid I wouldn’t have enough to go around. Lucky for me, the dessert went over very well. Everyone thought they were delicious and most even asked for the recipe, always a good sign in my book. So here it is aunties, I hope you make them and enjoy them with the rest of the family:
(adapted from BakersRoyal)
- 12 oz. chocolate, chopped (I used 7oz of bittersweet and 5oz of semi-sweet)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- heaping ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
Salted Caramel Creme Filling
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups confectioner sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup caramel (I used caramel ice cream topping)
- Place 7oz. of the chocolate and the butter in a saucepan over low heat and gently stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat for 15 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add in flour, baking powder, melted chocolate mixture, remaining 5 oz. of chocolate and mix to combine. Set aside to stand for 10 minutes.
- Spoon 2 tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for about 8–10 minutes or until puffed and cracked. Allow to cool completely on trays.
Caramel Cream Filling:
- Place butter in a bowl and beat until creamed. Add in confectioner sugar and salt and beat until combined. Add in caramel and beat until combined.
Putting it all together:
- Spread a teaspoon and a half of caramel creme on the underside of one brownie cookie and place a second brownie cookie bottom side down on top frosting.
As I said before, these cookie sandwiches are delicious. The brownie cookie part is rich and chocolatey and the caramel filling adds just the right amount of sweet and salty to balance it all out. Good enough to be added to the family dessert rotation I think!
The only problem with these babies is the name. Especially since I was calling them Brownie Cookie Sandwiches with Salted Caramel Buttercream. Descriptive yes, but it doesn’t exactly roll of your tongue. One suggestion I liked was Brownie Bombs although it completely leaves out the salted caramel filling. So please make them for yourself and let me know what you would call them.