I decided to revisit a recipe I’ve posted on the blog before to see if I can make some much needed improvements. Although these s’more cookies where a big hit the first time I baked them, I had some ideas on how I could make them even better. Since I had some leftover graham crackers from the campfire bars I made recently, I figured it was the perfect time to experiment.
I noted with the first go-round that these cookies came out a little flat. To fatten them up, I added 1/4 cup of flour and 1/8 cup of graham cracker crumbs to the original recipe and chilled the dough before baking. As I’ve mentioned before, chilling the dough keeps the butter cold so that it doesn’t melt too quickly and cause the cookies to spread out before they set. This added chill time and the extra flour and graham cracker crumbs seemed to do the trick, making the cookies a bit plumper then last time.
Next, I substituted about 1 cup of chocolate chips for the Hershey bars. This was done for two reasons. The first being mere convenience as I ALWAYS have chocolate chips on hand and didn’t want to go out and buy Hershey bars. The second reason was to spread the chocolate throughout the cookie. I liked having more smaller pockets of chocolate throughout the dough instead of a few large pieces. I think it’s much more enjoyable to get chocolate in every bite! However, if you still want to use Hershey bars for a more authentic s’more cooie, I’d suggest chopping up the bars to evenly distribute them among the cookies.
Lastly, I decided to throw the marshmallows right into the dough (and add 1/3 of a cup), instead of broiling them on top. This simplified the baking process quite a bit as I didn’t have to bake the cookies, top with marshmallows and then broil them. Also, someone had mentioned that the marshmallows on the original cookies looked liked quail eggs. Not exactly something you would want on top of a cookie. So this step solved that problem as well 🙂
I must say I was very happy with the updated cookies and will be making them this way from now on. They are definitely a new favorite – I think it’s the graham cracker dough that makes them so tasty. I’d like to think of some other cookies with the same dough and different mix-ins. Any ideas? I”m thinking something fruity or maybe a play on cheesecake…
My revised s’more recipe is below:
S’more Cookie Remix
adapted from ringfingertanline
– 3/4 cup butter, softened
– 1/2 cup white sugar
– 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
– 1 egg
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
– 1 cup + 6 Tbls graham cracker crumbs
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 cup chocolate chips
– 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredeints to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the sheets. Move to wire rack to cool completely.
As always, enjoy!