I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I made some Homemade Almond Joys. I wanted to experiment with the recipe before posting it and am sure glad I did. The modified version came out way better than the first. The original recipe is from my usual source of inspiration for all things sweet, Joy the Baker. I actually didn’t seek her out this time around, her blog just happened to be the first one that popped up when I googled Homemade Almond Joys. See her recipe here.
On my first attempt I used light unsweetened coconut and added some coconut oil to the chocolate topping to help thin it out. While the coconut oil was a great addition to these babies, the light coconut was quite dry. So for my next attempt I decided to use half sweetened and half light unsweetened coconut and think the combination was perfect. Since I used some sweetened coconut I decided to cut back on the sugar as well.
Here is my modified version:
Homemade Almond Joys
adapted from Joy the Baker
– 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
– 1/2 cup powdered sugar
– 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
– pinch of salt
– 1 1/4 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
– 1 ¼ cups sweetened flaked coconut
– 20 roasted almonds
– 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
– 2 tsps coconut oil
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Stir in the coconut. Place mixture in the freezer for 3o minutes.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove the coconut mixture from the freezer. Shape one tablespoon of coconut into a little log about 2 inches long and 3/4-inch thick. Press the logs together very well so they don’t crack when dipped. Place on the lined baking sheet and continue until all of the coconut mixture is gone. Press an almond on top of each coconut log. Place the baking sheet in the fridge to chill while you melt the chocolate.
3. Combine chocolate and coconut oil and melt in the microwave or double broiler until smooth
4. Remove the coconut candies from the fridge. Place one coconut almond log on a fork. Use a spoon to scoop a bit of chocolate over the almond. Lower fork into chocolate and spoon chocolate over candy to coat. Lift fork and gently shake to release some of the chocolate. Scrape the bottom of the fork along the side of the bowl and place on the lined baking sheet. Repeat until all candy is coated in chocolate.
5. Place candy back in the fridge to harden. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.