Here is a list of healthy baking substitutions I use on a regular basis.
– 1 tbls flax meal + 3 Tbls water
– 1 1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer + 2 tbls water
– 1/2 mashed banana
– 1/4 cup applesauce
– prune puree (I use lighter bake by Sunsweet, but you can make your own)
– pumpkin puree
*For butter/oil, I usually only replace half of the amount called for in the recipe with one of these substitutions.
Buttermilk (1 cup):
– 1 tbls apple cider vinegar or lemon juice + enough milk to make one cup
Sugar (1 cup):
– coconut palm sugar
– 3/4 cup sugar + 1 tbls honey (decrease other liquids in recipe by 2 tbls)
– 3/4 cup maple syrup (decrease other liquids in recipe by 3 tbls)
*I like to find recipes that use fruits as the sweetener, such as mashed banana. Here is an example of one of my favorites: Banana Cranberry Oat Bars